Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pen & Ink

I just finished up my Pen and Ink class a little while ago, so here are some of the pieces that came from that:

The first assignment (to be added as soon as I scan it) was to get used to working with flexible-nib pens. The goal was to draw and ink on scratchboard, an image of our hand holding some sort of object. I chose a corn cob because I thought it would be fun to draw. It was, mostly, but got kind of tedious doing each kernel after a while.



The next assignment was to translate an existing tone illustration (we were assigned charcoal and graphite, fully-rendered pictures from old anatomy textbooks) into pen and ink. So that's what I did. I'll post a comparison shot of the original soon, because they are actual pretty different.

The last, and major, assignment for the course was to take an existing anatomy sketch that we had drawn from a cadaver during a previous course, and to use that as a basis to make an anatomical illustration. This is of the internal anatomy of a kidney, which was based on an earlier sketch, but completely re-drawn in a different perspective and cleaned up to make it look more consistent and normal. I wanted to draw it bisected, then opened up like a book, with ureter on one side and vasculature on the other.

This was actually done with Micron pens rather than flexible-nib, mostly in the interest of saving time. Both this and the one above were done on translucent vellum.

No comments:

Post a Comment