Tuesday, February 16, 2010

cephaloPod

It's been a while since I've posted anything new, so I thought I'd update with some recent work.

This piece was the result of a project from two classes: a tone drawing class, and an introductory class to illustration with Adobe Photoshop. The goal was to find and teach something, such as interesting anatomy or behavior, on a plant or animal of our choice, in the form of an informational poster or something similar. The first half of the project was to create the base illustration using graphite. In my case, that is the large squid in the top-right of the layout. The second half was to place that image within a layout that involves the necessary text and insets to explain the idea behind the illustration. To get us used to illustrating in Photoshop, we were supposed to render any additional images to look as if they were done with the traditional media (graphite) used for the main drawing.


I chose to do a piece on how squids (and by extension the other cephalopods) propel themselves through the water. To supplement my library research, I ordered a preserved squid online to dissect, and I bought a ton of fresh squid from Asian food superstore H-Mart, which had me constantly wanting to eat fried calamari. It was an interesting project to do, but as with anything, when it's all said and done I can see a bunch of things I would do differently a second time around. Still, it was a fun piece to do for my first real illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment